Presidential Forum #2 – 11/17/13
Our year is well under way and it has been so rewarding to see all of the SNPhA activity across the nation. I sit here at a local coffee shop writing this presidential forum and I can barely contain my excitement for our organization and where it is headed. The two major paradigm shifts in our nation pertain to the aging of the baby boomers and the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. We, as pharmacy students and future health care professionals, are at the forefront of change. We are tasked with the unique ability to make an impact in a variety of methods. Our members are the most creative, active, and passionate group of individuals that come together as a family to make a real difference. This is the time for us to rise to the occasion and to simply put, ACT.
- The first edition of the Signatura is now published and can be found here. This is a window into our activity across the nation so enjoy our first newsletter release! Congratulations to Ken Alexander from Campbell University on being the first Signatura Student. The next deadline for Signatura submissions and the Signatura Student nominations will be Friday, November 29, 2013 at 8PM PST/ 10PM CST/ 11PM EST. Please contact the National Public Relations Liaison, Idris Yakubu, at email@example.com for any questions, comments, or concerns.
- Fourteen SNPhA chapters worked with the United Nations Foundation Shot@Life initiative for World Polio Day and obtained 1000+ petition signatures for global vaccinations. Please keep a look out for more upcoming partnership events with Shot@Life.
- SNPhA participated in American Pharmacists Month in October by hosting the Ready, Set, ACTion Video Competition. Chapters had the opportunity to create an advocacy video that pertains to the profession of pharmacy. The video submissions from chapters can be found here. Members had the opportunity to vote for their favorite videos and without further ado, the winner of the Ready, Set, ACTion Video Competition is the University of Kentucky! This is a great opportunity to use these videos for the entire year for advocacy and community outreach events. Feel free to share, play, and view all year long!
- All proposed resolutions will be due on Sunday, December 22, 2013 at 7PM PST/ 9PM CST/ 10PM EST. Please follow the resolution proposal guidelines to formulate the resolutions from your chapter. You will submit your resolution(s) using the official Region I/II or Region III/IV/V submission form and remember to explain in the form how your proposed resolution pertains to the missions and objectives of SNPhA. For more information, please contact the National President-elect, Dainielle Fox, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Webinars sponsored by Walmart/Sam’s Club are currently ongoing which are featured to inform SNPhA members on up-to-date patient care, training opportunities for upcoming events, advocacy scenarios, and much more… Please keep a lookout for announcements to what is next and contact Ishita Gandhi at email@example.com with any questions.
- Chapter Monthly Reports are due by the 1st day of every month to your respective regional facilitators. Please do not hesitate to reach out to them with any questions, comments, or concerns.
- Want to get involved as a SNPhA member on the national level? The national initiative chairs are still looking for members to join their subcommittees. Please click here for information on the project chairs and you can email them to get started.
- The Rx for Service Video Competition is sponsored by Walmart/Sam’s Club and is designed as a national scholarship competition to grant student teams the funds needed to make an impact in underserved communities. The application and 3-5 minute video submissions will be due Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 11:59PM PST/ 1:59AM CST/ 2:59AM EST. More detailed information can be found on the application form and/or please contact Josh Blackwell at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. As a reference, a compilation of the video submission winners from this previous year can be found here.
- SNPhA has partnered with Walgreens to participate in World AIDS Day on Sunday, December 1, 2013. Please reach out to our National Remember the Ribbon Chair, Sam Zakkour, at email@example.com for information on how to participate.
- SNPhA chapters should strive to promote active interprofessional learning for members through collaborative community outreach and educational opportunities. The SNPhA Interprofessional Collaborative encourages chapters to participate in multidisciplinary healthcare experiences. The involvement of each participating chapter will be showcased to recognize the amazing new developments in SNPhA chapters across the nation. Click here for more details and for more information, please contact our Head of Interprofessional Relations, Danny Jean, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The SNPhA Region I & II Meeting hosted by Virginia Commonwealth University will be held February 28–March 2, 2014 in Richmond, VA. Registration is now open and please visit www.vcusnpha.com for more information. Hotel rooms are now available for booking by clicking here.
- The SNPhA Region III, IV, & V Meeting hosted by The Ohio State University will be held March 14-16, 2014 in Columbus, OH. Registration is now open and please follow this link for more information. Hotel rooms are now available for booking by clicking here.
Thank you for viewing the presidential forum. I look forward to experiencing this wonderful journey with each and every one of you.
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt